Star trek: Voyager 5.10a - The fight
Stardate around 52690
Threat advisory: Low - Low risk of entertaining activities
Episode propagandaWhile the ship is caught in Chaotic Space, a zone where the laws of physics are in a state of flux, Commander Chakotay (Robert Beltran) believes he's a 24th century boxer, The Maquis Mauler. Before long, he's going head to head with the Delta Quadrant's champion, Kid Chaos (Carlos Palomino).
Persons of interest
- Kate Mulgrew .... Captain Kathryn Janeway
- Robert Beltran .... Commander Chakotay
- Roxann Dawson .... Lieutenant B'Elanna Torres
- Robert Duncan McNeill .... Lieutenant Tom Paris
- Robert Picardo .... the Emergency Medical Hologram
- Ethan Phillips .... Neelix
- Tim Russ .... Lieutenant Tuvok
- Jeri Ryan .... Seven of nine, tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix 01
- Garrett Wang .... Ensign Harry Kim
- Majel Barrett .... USS Voyager computer voice
- Ray Walston .... Boothby
- Carlos Palomino .... Kid Chaos
- Ned Romero .... Chakotay's great grandfather
- Michael Taylor .... Storywriter
- Joe Menosky .... Screenwriter
- Rick Kolbe .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Intelligence reportHo hum.
The fight is Robert Beltran's guaranteed feature episode for the year. Unfortunately for him, they chose to write one with a crap story. Sure, Robert's a good actor: demented, devoted, despairing, etc., but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
I pause to wonder whether you can make a silk purse out of a boar's ear, or any other part of its anatomy.
Back to the job at hand.
Chaotic Space, where things are just too weird for technology to cope with, is a great idea. Life forms who intersect Chaotic Space at the 18th gradient and are too strange to communicate with humanoids are a great idea. Chakotay having a defective gene is a good idea, but I wonder why this suddenly appeared now when it was most needed (rather like Janeway's combadge fiddling habit suddenly appearing for Chakotay to notice). Chakotay going on a vision quest to make first contact is an interesting idea, but I wishe that they'd get rid of that damnable new age hippy music!
And what's with the boxing? Chakotay has never mentioned it before, and it's a very brutal kind of sport for a culture as supposedly enlightened as the Federation. Holo-boxing is fine (good cardio workout, improved reflexes, great stress relief) but the real thing is just a quick way to go nuts (just ask Mohammed Ali).
The fight has no bearing on anything but Chakotay's character. If you're a Chakotay fan, then watch it by all means (there's even a massage to get your hormones going), but otherwise, give it a miss. Welcome to X.10, the depths of every season.
Security censorship classification
PG (Low level violence)
Not for public release in Australia before date
VHS rental and retail: 7 October 1999