Star trek: Deep Space Nine 7.06b - The Emperor's new cloak
Stardate around 52250
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Grand Nagus Zek (Wallace Shawn), the ruler of the Ferengi Empire and paramour to Quark (Armin Shimerman) and Rom's (Max Grodénchik) mother, disappears while on a business trip to the alternate universe. Ezri's (Nicole de Boer) counterpart from the universe delivers word that Zek is a prisoner of the evil alliance and will be killed unless Quark can secure a cloaking device, which renders a ship invisible. Quark and Rom steal one from a Klingon vessel, then accompany Ezri back to the alternate universe to retrieve Zek.
Persons of interest
- Avery Brooks .... Commander Benjamin Lafayette Sisko
- René Auberjonois .... Constable Odo
- Michael Dorn .... Lieutenant Worf, The Regent
- Nicole de Boer .... Lieutenant Ezri Dax
- Cirroc Lofton .... Jake Sisko
- Colm Meaney .... Chief O'Brien
- Armin Shimerman .... Quark
- Alexander Siddig .... Doctor Julian Bashir
- Nana Visitor .... Colonel Kira Nerys, The Intendant
- Majel Barrett .... Starfleet computer voice
- Wallace Shawn .... Grand Nagus Zek
- Andrew J Robinson .... Garak
- Jeffrey Combs .... Brunt
- Max Grodénchik .... Rom
- JG Hertzler .... Martok
- Tiny Ron .... Maihar'du
- James Darren .... Vic Fontaine
- Chase Masterson .... Leeta
- Ira Steven Behr .... Screenwriter
- Hans Beimler .... Screenwriter
- LeVar Burton .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- See also Crossover, Through the looking glass, Shattered mirror, Resurrection
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Ummm... dyke heaven?
Or is it straight-boy heaven? I have been well educated in the perverse desires of heterosexual males as it refers to homosexual females (not through personal experience, of course). The "two women having sex" scenario is a big turn on for them, although strangely enough, two guys going at it isn't. Funny that.
Why am I going on about this? Because not only is Mirror Ezri a dyke, and not only is she going out with the Intendant (a fence-jumping bisexual), but Mirror Leeta is a big dyke, too. Sure, it's great to see minorities make it onto Star trek, but this is not the way to do it. Jadzia kissed Lenara Khan, Beverley chickened out with Odan, but why are there no regular gay characters? Bolians can only marry co-spouses as long as it isn't shown onscreen and the character is killed by an insane Vulcan. It's not good enough.
The Emperor's new cloak, a very clever pun, is the wrap up for the Mirror Universe story arc. It also gets the Ferengi some extra air time without being the butt of everyone else's jokes. Speaking of which, why is Mirror Worf, the Regent, such a putz?
It's a good enough story with some very interesting bits, some funny bits, some technobabble, some effects and lots of chicks kissing. If you thought Seven of nine was the best thing to happen to Star trek then this is the episode for you. Otherwise, it's just an average episode.
Query: When will Star trek show two males kissing? Or two Human races? Or a Humanoid and a non-Humanoid? Hmmm?
Security censorship classification
PG (Low level violence)
Not for public release in Australia before date
VHS rental and retail: 5 June 1999