Star trek: Deep Space Nine 5.10a - Ties of blood and water
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Kira (Nana Visitor) meets Tekeny Ghemor (Lawrence Pressman), a known Cardassian dissident, hoping he will lead the opposition to the Cardassian/Dominion alliance. Ghemor reveals he hasn't long to live but he may still be able to help Kira's cause with a Cardassian ritual in which the dying reveal secrets to their family to use against their enemies. Since Ghemor apparently has no living relatives, he asks Kira, who the Cardassians once kidnapped and surgically altered to look like his long-lost child, to be his daughter one last time. Sisko (Avery Brooks) points out that this is an incredible opportunity to learn Cardassian secrets. Kira reluctantly agrees to the task.
Persons of interest
- Avery Brooks .... Commander Benjamin Lafayette Sisko, Director
- René Auberjonois .... Constable Odo
- Michael Dorn .... Lieutenant Worf
- Terry Farrell .... Lieutenant Jadzia Dax
- Cirroc Lofton .... Jake Sisko
- Colm Meaney .... Chief O'Brien
- Armin Shimerman .... Quark
- Alexander Siddig .... Doctor Julian Bashir
- Nana Visitor .... Major Kira Nerys
- Majel Barrett .... Starfleet computer voice
- Lawrence Pressman .... Tekeny Ghemor
- Marc Alaimo .... Gul Dukat
- Thomas Kopache .... Taban
- William Lucking .... Furel
- Jeffrey Combs .... Weyoun
- Edmund Newton .... Storywriter
- Robbin L Slocum .... Storywriter
- Robert Hewitt Wolfe .... Screenwriter
Cinematic intelligence sources
Special Agent Matti
Yowza! Nana visitor pulls out all the stops in this gut-wrenching, tear-jerker episode. No wonder they hired her!
This episode is all about the nastiness of war. No matter how long it's been since the occupation ended, bad blood is still thicker than water. Dukat is still an evil bastard, Weyoun 5 has been decanted and is enjoying his new life to the fullest. Cool.
The scenes between Lawrence and Nana are full of both light and dark: the light of love and the dark of pain, betrayal and death. They bounce off each other like... er... things that bounce off each other.
While this is a Kira episode, it also goes that step further and picks up whole bucketloads of information about Cardassia, Bajor, the occupation and the state of the Alpha Quadrant/Dominion war.
Security censorship classificationPG (Low level violence, adult references)
Not for public release in Australia before date