Threat advisory: Under evaluation
Where does a mother end and a daughter begin?
After her uncompromising but seductive mother Ingrid (Michelle Pfeiffer) kills her boyfriend for abandoning her, 15-year-old Astrid (Alison Lohman) witnesses her mother's arrest. It's an event that will change the course of both their lives.
Suddenly, young Astrid is on her own.
Shuttled through a series of foster homes, Astrid struggles to master the techniques she needs if she's to survive the unyielding and often harsh world she is thrust into. Astrid tries desperately to forge her own identity within her ever-changing environment. From behind bars, Ingrid's powerful influence is the only constant in Astrid's life. For good, and for bad.
In the three years that mark her passage from child to adult, Astrid must learn the value of independence and courage, rage and forgiveness, love and survival, to earn her freedom from the past.
Persons of interest
- Alison Lohman .... Astrid Magnussen
- Michelle Pfeiffer .... Ingrid Magnussen
- Renée Zellweger .... Claire Richards
- Robin Wright .... Starr Thomas
- Taryn Manning .... Nikki
- Patrick Fugit .... Paul Trout
- Noah Wyle .... Ron Richards
- Amy Aquino .... Miss Martinez
- Charles Constant .... Jerry
- Marc Donato .... Davey
- Janet Fitch .... Author
- Mary Agnes Donoghue .... Screenwriter
- Peter Kosminsky .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- White Oleander official movie site
- White Oleander QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Toronto International Film Festival 2002: Viacom Gala
- Studios and distributors:
- Becker Entertainment
Special Agent Matti
Security censorship classification
M (Adult themes, low level violence, low level coarse language)
109 minutes (1:49 hours)