We own the night - Mark Wahlberg, Joaquin Phoenix, Eva Mendes, Robert Duvall, James Gray
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
Two brothers on opposite sides of the law. Beyond their differences lies loyalty.
New York, 1988: A new breed of narcotics has swept the great city, bringing with it a ferocious crime wave more terrifying than any in recent memory.
Out-manned and out-gunned by the new criminal order, the police find themselves burying one of their own at the rate of two a month. An all-out war rages, threatening to engulf guilty and innocent alike. Bobby Green (Joaquin Phoenix) is caught in the crossfire. Manager of a Russian nightclub in Brighton Beach frequented by gangsters like Vadim Nezhinski (Alex Veadov), Bobby keeps his distance, not wanting to get involved. Despite his hedonistic, amoral lifestyle, he is committed to his girlfriend Amada (Eva Mendes) and has ambitions to open his own club and expand out of Brooklyn. Bobby has a secret, however, which he guards closely. His brother is Police Lieutenant Joseph Grusinsky (Mark Wahlberg), who has followed in the footsteps of their father, legendary Deputy Chief Burt Grusinsky (Robert Duvall).
Bobby's already strained relationship with his father and brother is tested when Burt warns his son that this is a war, and he's going to have to choose a side. He can no longer remain neutral when his brother is badly wounded in an assassination attempt, and Bobby discovers his father could be next. Realizing they will only be safe when Nezhinski and his organization are destroyed, Bobby and Joseph join forces for an all-out assault. Together, they'll try to prove the NYPD's 80s rallying cry in the war on drugs: We own the night.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film crime police drugs Russian Mafia brothers war on drugs
Persons of interest
- Joaquin Phoenix .... Bobby Green
- Mark Wahlberg .... Joseph Grusinsky
- Robert Duvall .... Burt Grusinsky
- Eva Mendes .... Amanda Juarez
- Tony Musante .... Jack Shapiro
- Antoni Corone .... Michael Solo
- Alex Veadov .... Vadim Nezhinski
- Katie Condidorio .... Hazel
- Burton Perez .... Antonio
- Danny Hoch .... Louis Falsetti
- Yelena Solovey .... Kalina
- Dominic Colon .... Freddie
- Robert C Kirk .... Sergeant Provinzano
- Maggie Kiley .... Sandra Grusinsky
- Moni Moshonov .... Marat
- James Gray .... Screenwriter
- James Gray .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- We own the night official movie site
- We own the night film production notes
- We own the night QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
We own the night is The Yards from the other side of the mirror. Some good violent fun.
The crime, police movie We own the night is directed by James Gray and stars Mark Wahlberg, Joaquin Phoenix, Eva Mendes, Robert Duvall.
Government security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Strong violence, drug use and coarse language)
117 minutes (1:57 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 28 February 2008