Underworld 3: rise of the Lycans - Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy, Rhona Mitra, Patrick Tatopoulos
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
The prequel to the first two films tracing the origins of the centuries-old blood feud between the aristocratic vampires known as Death Dealers, and their one-time slaves, the Lycans.
In the Dark Ages, a young Lycan named Lucian (Michael Sheen) emerges as a powerful leader who rallies the werewolves to rise up against Viktor (Bill Nighy), the cruel vampire king who has enslaved them. Lucian is joined by his secret lover, Sonja (Rhona Mitra), in his battle against the Death Dealer army and his struggle for Lycan freedom.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film action horror supernatural sequel werewolves vampires battle prequel slave freedom love coven
Persons of interest
- Rhona Mitra .... Sonja
- Michael Sheen .... Lucian
- Bill Nighy .... Viktor
- Shane Brolly .... Kraven
- Kevin Grevioux .... Raze
- Kevin Grevioux .... Creator
- Danny McBride .... Creator
- Len Wiseman .... Creator
- Len Wiseman .... Storywriter
- Danny McBride .... Screenwriter
- Patrick Tatopoulos .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Underworld 3: rise of the Lycans official movie site
- Underworld 3: rise of the Lycans film production notes
- Underworld 3: rise of the Lycans QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- See also Underworld, Underworld: Evolution
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
I was underwhelmed by Underworld 3: rise of the Lycans. It has all the elements of the previous movies, especially the decor, and even some new bits but it's so familiar that it breeds contempt (or, in my case, underwhelming). The star-crossed lovers theme was uninspiring until Daddy finally got rid of the whiny bitch with the old "tie her up and leave her in the sunshine" trick. Talk about crispy critters. There wasn't much biting, either, which is a bit of a surprise for a vampire/werewolf flick.
Overall, this film is, pun intended, too bloodless to take my fancy.
The action, horror, supernatural movie Underworld 3: rise of the Lycans is directed by Patrick Tatopoulos and stars Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy, Rhona Mitra.
Government security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Strong violence)
92 minutes (1:32 hours)