The tailor of Panama
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
Movie propagandaRuthless, seductive British spy Andy Osnard (Pierce Brosnan) may have been banished to Panama, but he's got a secret weapon - Harry Pendel (Geoffrey Rush), a Cockney ex-con who has reinvented himself as a popular tailor to the rich and powerful of the country. Harry is famous for his storytelling as well as his suits, but this time Harry's yarn will give the arrogant Osnard his comeuppance.
Also starring Jamie Lee Curtis as Louisa Pendel, Leonor Valera as Marta, Daniel Radcliff as Pendel's son, Brendan Gleeson, David Hayman, Catherine McCormack and Harold Pinter. Based on the novel by John le Carré, directed by John Boorman.
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Awards and film festivals:
- Berlin International Film Festival 2001: Première
- Tailor of Panama official movie site
- Tailor of Panama QuickTime movie trailers
- Studios and distributors:
Secret Agent Acid Thunder
At first I thought that I was looking at 007's new flick so I had to get my head around the fact that I was just looking at Pierce Brosnan. Having so often played the good-looking good spy he was a natural to be cast as the good-looking bad spy, à la 006: he's dipped his wick into too many women and how he's paying the price for it. naturally enough, he manages to escape it all.
Geoffrey Rush plays the quiet yet well-influenced tailor who is caught up in the struggle of false plots and crooked spies. It's funny how he plays Pierce's character while managing to keep his life intact.
I know that this review is somewhat vague but I wants you to see it without having all the best bits spoiled for you, because it's a great, cheap film and you should know what that looks like.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Commentary by John Boorman
- Never-before-seen alternate ending with optional director commentary
- The perfect fit - a 20 minute conversation with Geoffrey Rush and Pierce Brosnan
- Original movie trailers
- Bonus movie trailers
- Talent profiles
- Picture disc
- Languages: English (5.1)
- Subtitles: English, Greek, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Icelandic, Hindi, Hebrew, Dutch, Bulgarian, Turkish, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Arabic, Croatian
- Screen: Widescreen (2.35:1/16:9 enhanced)
Security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Medium level sex scenes, adult themes)
105 minutes (1:45 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 16 August 2001
DVD rental: 16 January 2002
VHS rental: 16 January 2002