Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
Baseball's a sport. Love's the game.
This summer couldn't be more crucial for Ryan Dunne (Freddie Prinze Junior), a blue-collar kid with major league aspirations. Every year the hottest university baseball players in the country descend upon Cape Cod to pursue their big-league dreams during the day and blow off steam in town at night. The first local boy in years to earn a slot in the cape's elite baseball league, Ryan's finally got his shot... but the temptation to score off the field is almost as intense as the pressure to perform on the diamond.
His eyes on the prize, Ryan tries to stay focused despite distractions like the local girls, who are all too ready to help the players cut loose. Among them are Dede (Brittany Murphy), who impresses the team with her ability to pour a beer without using her hands, and the town's very own "Mrs Robinson", who is infamous for her annual "initiation" of new recruits like naïve young second-baseman Mickey "Domo" Dominguez (Wilmer valderrama).
As the friction builds between his loyal townie friends and his cocky team-mates - university superstars jockeying for the attention of pro scouts - the last thing Ryan's looking for is a fling with sexy, sophisticated vassar grad Tenley Parrish (Jessica Biel).
Will he rise to the challenge or strike out? Either way, it's gonna be one hot summer...
Persons of interest
- Freddie Prinze Jr .... Ryan Dunne
- Jessica Biel .... Tenley Parrish
- Matthew Lillard .... Billy Brubaker
- Brian Dennehy .... John Schiffner
- Fred Ward .... Sean Dunne
- Jason Gedrick .... Mike Dunne
- Brittany Murphy .... Dede Mulligan
- Bruce Davison .... Rand Parrish
- Marc Blucas .... Miles Dalrymple
- Wilmer Valderrama .... Mickey Dominguez
- Corey Pearson .... Eric Van Leemer
- Christian Kane .... Dale Robin
- Cedric Pendleton .... Calvin Knight
- Gabriel Mann .... Auggie
- Jed Rhein .... Pete
- Zena Grey .... Katie Parrish
- Curt Gowdy .... Curt Gowdy
- Kevin Falls .... Screenwriter
- John Gatins .... Screenwriter
- Michael Tollin .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Summer catch official movie site
- Awards and film festivals:
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
This is a lightweight mish-mash of the romantic chick flick and the sport dude movie. It is an attempt to catch both demographics. It is a clique of clichés.
Ignore it unless you are in love with Freddie Prinze Junior, who smiles winsomely and takes his shirt off (Jessica gets wet in a clinging top, but that's about as raunchy as it gets).
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
- Disc: Single side, single layer
- Commentary: Kevin Falls, John Gatins, Michael Tollin
- Deleted scenes
- Languages: English
- Picture: Widescreen 16:9
- Subtitles: English
Security censorship classification
M (Low level coarse language)
108 minutes (1:48 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 9 May 2002
DVD rental: 14 August 2002
DVD retail: 14 August 2002
VHS rental: 14 August 2002