The SpongeBob SquarePants movie - Tom Kenny, Rodger Bumpass, Bill Fagerbakke, Sherm Cohen
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
A hero will rise.
This movie is based on the very popular kids TV series by the same name aired on Nickelodeon. In a complicated plot to steal the Krabby Patty formula, Plankton (Carolyn Lawrence) steals the crown of Neptune (Jeffrey Tambor), the undersea ruler and lays the blame on Mr Krabs (Clancy Brown). SpongeBob (Tom Kenny) promises to travel to far-off Shell City with Patrick (Bill Fagerbakke) to retrieve the crown. Meanwhile, Plankton hires Dennis (Alec Baldwin) to help him steal the Krabby Patty formula. Will Plankton retrieve the Krabby Patty formula and will SpongeBob and Patrick be able to return the crown to its rightful owner?
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film animation cartoon TV comedy sea ocean sponge shell
Persons of interest
- Tom Kenny .... SpongeBob SquarePants, Gary, Narrator
- Rodger Bumpass .... Squidward Tentacles
- Bill Fagerbakke .... Patrick Star
- Carolyn Lawrence .... Sandy Cheeks
- Clancy Brown .... Mr Eugene H Krabs
- Jasmine Martin .... Pizza Fishie
- Stephen Hillenburg .... Screenwriter
- Kent Osborne .... Screenwriter
- Sherm Cohen .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- The SpongeBob SquarePants movie official movie sites:
- The SpongeBob SquarePants movie QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- International Press Academy Golden Satellite Awards 2004: Nominated: Motion Picture - Animated Or Mixed Media
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
The SpongeBob SquarePants movie is a cash-in on the eponymous hero's TV series. The movie combines the best of the small screen with some rather familiar stuff from recent animated big screen stuff, most noticeably Finding Nemo's fish tank sequence. The ending is contrived but it's a good educational example for the kiddies of What Hollywood Is Like™.
Some funny bits, mildly entertaining for adults, entertaining for kids.
Security censorship classification
87 minutes (1:27 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 6 January 2005