Sione's wedding (Samoan wedding) - Oscar Kightley, Shimpal Lelisi, Robbie Magasiva, Chris Graham
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
They made one little promise, not to ruin their boy's big day...
Meet best friends Michael (Robbie Magasiva), Albert (Oscar Kightley), Stanley (Iaheto Ah Hi) and Sefa (Shimpal Lelisi): the ladies' man, the good boy, the weird one, the party boy. They're staring down the barrel of their 30th birthdays, but still act as if they're 16; they get drunk, they chase the wrong women and they have a remarkable record of misbehaving and causing chaos at every wedding they attend.
But now Michael's younger brother Sione (Pua Magasiva) is getting married, and everything is about to change. Sione is their boy, the kid they used to look after, who grew up while they were still partying. And to ensure his big day isn't spoiled by his boys and their idiot antics, Sione has issued an ultimatum; the guys all have to bring dates to the wedding. And not just any dates; real girlfriends, someone they've made a commitment to. They have one month. So just how hard can it be to get a date for your best boy's wedding?
Michael doesn't think it will be a problem. He's a good-looking cycle courier with a girl in every suburb and dozens more on speed dial. Does he know how to have a relationship that lasts longer than an afternoon?
Albert is the quiet one. His mother can't understand why such a good boy hasn't found the right girl. And if he stopped longing for unobtainable women, Albert might discover that the perfect girl is just an office partition away. Unless his true love is the Pacific Princess (Maryjane McKibbin-Schwenke) his mother has imported from the islands for him.
Stanley is a hopeless romantic - in a weird way. As 'Tyreeq' he's a legend on the 0900 phone lines, but the girls he scores aren't so dreamy when he meets them in the real world. There's one girl Stanley knows will be different, his honey-voiced fantasy 'Latifah'…
Party boy Sefa thinks he has it made. He may be wild, but he actually has a girlfriend. And she's the bridesmaid. Leilani (Teuila Blakely) is obliged to be Sefa's date for the wedding - isn't she?
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film comedy New Zealand romance Polynesia mates men friends wedding marriage family Pacific Island Samoa
Persons of interest
- Oscar Kightley .... Screenwriter, Albert
- Shimpal Lelisi .... Sefa
- Robbie Magasiva .... Michael
- Iaheto Ah Hi .... Stanley
- David Fane .... Bolo/Paul
- Teuila Blakely .... Leilani
- Pua Magasiva .... Sione
- Cilla Brown .... Leonie
- Madeleine Sami .... Tania
- Ana Tuigamala .... Albert's Mum
- Nathaniel Lees .... Minister
- Karena Lyons .... Jane
- Maryjane McKibbin-Schwenke .... Princess
- John Tui .... Tavita
- David Van Horn .... Derek
- James Griffin .... Screenwriter
- Chris Graham]]
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Sione's wedding (Samoan wedding) official movie site
- Sione's wedding (Samoan wedding) film production notes
- Sione's wedding (Samoan wedding) movie trailers:
- Awards and film festivals:
- New Zealand Screen Awards 2006: Nominated: Best picture, best direction (Chris Graham), Best actor in a leading role (Shimpal Leslie), Best actress in a leading role (Teuila Blakely), Best actress in a supporting role (Madeline Sami), Best screenplay (James Griffin, Oscar Knightley), Best editing (Paul Maxwell), Best contribution to a soundtrack (Tony Johnson), Best production design (Iain Aitken), Best costume design (Jane Holland)
- See also No 2 (Number Two), The groomsmen, The wedding crashers, The wood
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
You don't have to be a Samoan to enjoy Sione's wedding, you don't even have to be a Kiwi - this movie is about men who behave badly being forced to grow up. This is funny because men, especially young men, are really stupid and chicks just can't think down to their level so everyone gets confused and upset. It's funny when people get confused and upset (as long as it's not you).
You also get to see men in dresses.
The comedy, New Zealand, romance movie Sione's wedding (Samoan wedding) is directed by Chris Graham and stars Oscar Kightley, Shimpal Lelisi, Robbie Magasiva.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
- Languages: English
- Picture: Widescreen 1.85:1
- Special features:
- Click through soundtrack - Select songs from movie
- Documentaries: Behind the scenes
- Off screen antics
- My name is Paul
- Eugene speaks
- Galleries: Photographic
- Music videos:
- I do believe
- Let's stay together
- Subtitles: English, English captions, English closed captions
Government security censorship classification
M (Moderate sexual references, moderate coarse languages)
97 minutes (1:37 hours)