The singer (Quand j'étais chanteur) - Gérard Depardieu, Cécile De France, Mathieu Amalric, Xavier Giannoli
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
Gérard Depardieu plays Alain Moreau, a nightclub crooner who makes his living in local nightclubs, tea dances and factory committees. He knows he will never be great but he loves to sing and it is his whole life. Until he meets Marion (Cécile De France), a single mother with an unhappy past.
A hit at this year's Cannes Film Festival, The Singer is rewarding and touching romantic drama featuring one of the great performances of Depardieu's career.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film drama France romance French nightclub sing love relationship real estate croon band
Persons of interest
- Gérard Depardieu .... Alain Moreau
- Cécile De France .... Marion
- Mathieu Amalric .... Bruno
- Christine Citti .... Michèle
- Patrick Pineau .... Daniel
- Alain Chanoine .... Philippe Mariani
- Christophe .... Himself
- Antoine de Prekel .... Martin
- Marie Kremer
- Xavier Giannoli .... Screenwriter
- Xavier Giannoli .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- The singer (Quand j'étais chanteur) official movie site
- The singer (Quand j'étais chanteur) film production notes
- The singer (Quand j'étais chanteur) QuickTime movie trailers:
- iPod * Low resolution * High resolution
- Awards and film festivals:
- Cannes Film Festival 2006: Nominated: Golden Palm (Xavier Giannoli)
- NB: French language dialogue with English language subtitles
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
The only thing worse than having a use by date is passing it. In The singer (Quand j'étais chanteur), Alain Moreau has not only passed it, he is past it. Faded, sagging, hackneyed... if he was a building he'd be scheduled for demolition. His one saving grace is that he calls to mind, for those of a certain age, an older, simpler time when a singer was someone with a band, not a studio, a PR person, a designer and a management team.
The most questionable aspect of The singer (Quand j'étais chanteur) is that this hot young chick goes for a pasty, flabby, 2nd-rate old sleaze bag. Sure, love is blind and autumn is just as nice as spring but if this sort of thing happened more often then there'd be much less porn. The acting is great but the premises underwhelming.
The drama, France, romance movie The singer (Quand j'étais chanteur) is directed by Xavier Giannoli and stars Gérard Depardieu, Cécile De France, Mathieu Amalric.
Government security censorship classification
M (Infrequent moderate coarse language)
112 minutes (1:52 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 5 April 2007