Shaolin soccer (Kung-fu soccer; Siu lam juk kau) - Stephen Chow, Man Tat Ng, Yin Tse
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
Get ready to kick some grass.
Sing (Stephen Chow), a street cleaner with high hopes for Shaolin kung-fu, he sees everyday applications for the martial arts and is keen to bring them to the world. Finding the right means to promote his beloved kung-fu, however, is no easy task. when singing and dancing proves a fruitless pitch, sing strikes gold with the help of former football ace and aspiring coach "Golden Leg" Fung (Man Tat Ng).
Crippled in an on-field assault decades earlier, Fung's now living on the streets after years serving former team mate Hung (Yin Tse) since a match-fixing incident. Having found out Hung's involvement in breaking his famous leg, Hung's ready to set up a team to take on his rival's evil team. Sing picks up on the Shaolin promotion value in premier league football, and his martial arts skills and powerhouse kicks are a great start for a team.
Soon Sing rounds up his Shaolin ace mates to bring up the numbers. With a football team boasting the physical prowess of the empty hand, iron shirt, hooking leg and weight vest skills, and a healthy greed for winning, the gang go head-to-head with Hung's evil team in the championship arena.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film comedy martial arts Shaolin soccer football
Persons of interest
- Stephen Chow .... Sing
- Man Tat Ng .... "Golden Leg" Fung
- Yin Tse .... Hung
- Vicki Zhao .... Mui
- Yut Fei Wong .... Iron Head
- Kwok Kuen Chan .... Empty Hand
- Lam Chi Chung .... Weight Vest
- Chi-Sing Lam .... Hooking Leg
- Kai Man Tin .... Iron Shirt
- Lik-Chi Lee .... Screenwriter
- Kan-Cheung Tsang .... Screenwriter
- Stephen Chow .... Screenwriter
- Stephen Chow .... Director
- Lik-Chi Lee .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Shaolin soccer official movie sites:
- Shaolin soccer QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Toronto International Film Festival 2002: Special Presentation
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Shaolin soccer is more about special effects and promoting kung-fu careers than it is about the magic of The World Game™. For soccer, watch SBS instead. For kung-fu, watch Crouching tiger, hidden dragon instead.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
- Languages: Cantonese, English, German, Italian
- Picture: Widescreen (1.85:1)
- Subtitles: English captions, English closed captions, German, Italian
Security censorship classification
PG (Low level violence, drug use)
87 minutes (1:27 hours)