Scared sacred (ScaredSacred) - Aki Ra, Velcrow Ripper
Threat advisory: Under evaluation
Unwrap the darkness. Reveal the light.
In a world teetering on the edge of self-destruction, Canadian filmmaker Velcrow Ripper sets out on a unique pilgrimage. Visiting the 'Grounds Zero' of the planet, he asks if it's possible to find hope in the darkest moments of human history.
Ripper travels to the minefields of Cambodia; war-torn Afghanistan; the toxic wasteland of Bhopal; post-9/11 New York; Bosnia; Hiroshima; Israel and Palestine. This powerful documentary captures his five-year odyssey to discover if humanity can transform the 'scared' into the 'sacred'.
Deep in the jungles of Cambodia, Ripper meets Aki Ra, a child soldier forced to lay land mines for the Khmer Rouge. Today Aki wanders his ravaged country with a simple wooden stick, decommissioning thousands of mines each year. In the shattered land of Afghanistan, Ripper searches for a Sufi musician who was banned from performing or even listening to music, by the reign of fundamentalism. The musician discovered a way out: he filled his house with songbirds. In each Ground Zero, he unearths unforgettable stories of survival, of ritual, resilience and recovery.
Scared sacred (ScaredSacred) deftly weaves together stunning footage with haunting memories, inspirational stories, and an evocative soundscape. Featuring an engaging, first-person narrative, this film is an exquisite portrait of a search for meaning in times of turmoil, a luminous gift to a world in shadows.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film documentary war peace hope weapon destruction terror social change art
Persons of interest
- Aki Ra .... Himself
- Velcrow Ripper .... Screenwriter
- Velcrow Ripper .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Scared sacred (ScaredSacred) official movie site
- Scared sacred (ScaredSacred) film production notes
- Scared sacred (ScaredSacred) movie trailers:
- Awards and film festivals:
- Genie Awards 2006: Won: Best Documentary (Velcrow Ripper, Tracey Friesen, Cari Green, Harry Sutherland)
- Leo Awards 2005: Nominated: Documentary Program or Series - Best Direction (Velcrow Ripper), Documentary Program or Series - Best Documentary History/Biography/Social/Political (Tracey Friesen, Cari Green), Documentary Program or Series - Best Overall Sound (Velcrow Ripper, Gashtaseb Ariana, Gordon Durity), Documentary Program or Series - Best Screenwriting (Velcrow Ripper), Documentary Program or Series - Best Sound Editing (Velcrow Ripper, Gordon Durity, Andre Iwanchuk, Michael Keeping, Glen Noseworthy)
- Toronto International Film Festival 2004: Won: Best Canadian Feature Film - Special Jury Citation (Velcrow Ripper)
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
The documentary movie Scared sacred (ScaredSacred) is directed by Velcrow Ripper and stars Aki Ra.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Picture: Widescreen
- Special features:
- Commentaries: Director
- Director's Q&A
- Guided meditation
- Interactive map of locations
- Panel discussions
- User's guide
- Galleries: Photographic
- Interviews: Velcrow Ripper (Director)
- Trailers: Theatrical
- Subtitles: English
Government security censorship classification
M (Infrequent moderate coarse language, conflict and war themes)
105 minutes (1:45 hours)