Reindeer games - Ben Affleck, Charlize Theron, Gary Sinise, John Frankenheimer
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
"They wouldn't let poor Rudolph join in any reindeer games..."
After being released from prison, all Rudy Duncan (Ben Affleck) wanted was to start a new life with Ashley (Charlize Theron), the girl of his dreams. But between them and happiness stands Ashley's brother, Gabriel (Gary Sinise) and a team of criminals who think Rudy has inside information about a job he had at an Indian reservation casino that they plan to take down. Now, just when Rudy and Ashley thought they could start a new life, their entire future is on the line.
Used to taking the easy way out, this time Rudy has a difficult choice: either succumb to his criminal ways again or fight Gabriel and his gang by using their own tricks against them. Rudy becomes the artful dodger, ready to try anything to escape from a merry band of would-be robbers.
Persons of interest
- Ben Affleck .... Rudy Duncan
- Gary Sinise .... Gabriel Mercer
- Charlize Theron .... Ashley Mercer
- Dennis Farina .... Jack Bangs
- James Frain .... Nick Cassidy
- Donal Logue .... Pug
- Danny Trejo .... Jumpy
- Isaac Hayes .... Zook
- Dana Stubblefield .... The Alamo
- Clarence Williams III .... Merlin
- Ehren Kruger .... Screenwriter
- John Frankenheimer .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- 30 minutes: This is really boring, isn't it?
- 68 minutes: I can't watch any more of this.
- This movie actually makes you appreciate the real Hollywood movies all the money that goes into them. Normally when someone tries to make a movie like this, which is already a cliché, they smarten it up with twist after twist after twist. Reindeer games just doesn't manage it.
- I don't like Gary.
- John Frankenheimer: now we know who to blame.
Special Agent Matti
- I never realised that Ben has a hairy chest. He must've been waxing it or shaving it in his other movies.
- Gary is either good, like in Ransom, or really, really bad.
- It's a good thing Reindeer games is based in the USA where you can wander around with rifles and shotguns and nobody notices.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Cast and crew audio commentary
- Picture: Widescreen
- Trailer: Theatrical
- Making of featurette
- Subtitles: English
Security censorship classification
M (Medium level violence, medium level sex scene)
104 minutes (1:44 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
DVD retail: 23 May 2001