Racing stripes - Frankie Muniz, Hayden Panettiere, Bruce Greenwood, Frederick Du Chau
Threat advisory: Under evaluation
Cheer 'til you're horse!
Racing Stripes is the tale of a baby zebra named Stripes (Frankie Muniz), who is accidentally abandoned by a travelling circus during a rainstorm. The helpless zebra foal is discovered by horse trainer Nolan Walsh (Bruce Greenwood), who rescues Stripes and takes him home to live with him and his young daughter Channing (Hayden Panettiere) on their modest Kentucky farm.
Stripes soon becomes a happy member of the farm's barnyard animal family, led by a cranky Shetland Pony named Tucker (Dustin Hoffman) and Franny (Whoopi Goldberg), a wise goat who looks after Stripes. The group also features bird-brained rooster Reggie (Jeff Foxworthy) and Goose, (Joe Pantoliano) a deranged big-city pelican on the lam who's hiding out in the sticks until the heat dies down in Jersey.
Stripes and Channing grow up together as best friends who, unbeknownst to Channing, share a similar ambition - both dream of racing in the prestigious Kentucky Open. Channing longs to train as a jockey, but her protective father refuses to let her compete in the potentially dangerous sport. Stripes just knows that if he could get onto the track, he could leave all the other horses in the dust. What he doesn't know is...he's not exactly a horse.
The neighbouring estate is run by the ruthless queen of the Kentucky racing circuit, Clara Dalrymple (Wendie Malick). Stripes battles the ridicule of the Estate's thoroughbreds-in-training, Sir Trenton's Pride (Joshua Jackson) and Ruffshod (Michael Rosenbaum), who taunt him relentlessly about his lack of breeding and unusual appearance. But the Estate is home to some kinder residents, such as Sandy (Mandy Moore), a beautiful mare whose admiration and affection for Stripes further enrages his rivals.
With the help of his barnyard friends, Stripes must overcome prejudice and self-doubt to pursue his lifelong dream of running with the big horses and landing in the winner's circle.
Some champions are born, not bred.
Persons of interest
- Frankie Muniz .... Stripes
- Hayden Panettiere .... Channing Walsh
- Bruce Greenwood .... Nolan Walsh
- Gary Bullock .... Cooper
- Michael Clarke Duncan .... Clydesdale
- Jeff Foxworthy .... Reggie
- Whoopi Goldberg .... Franny
- Steve Harvey .... Buzz
- Dustin Hoffman .... Tucker
- Joshua Jackson .... Trenton's Pride
- Wendie Malick .... Clara Dalrymple
- Frankie Ryan Manriquez .... Young Ruffshod
- Mandy Moore .... Sandy
- Joe Pantoliano .... Goose
- Michael Rosenbaum .... Ruffshod
- David Spade .... Scuzz
- Patrick Stewart .... Sir Trenton
- Morne Visser .... Reporter
- M Emmet Walsh .... Woodzie
- Kirk De Micco .... Screenwriter
- Michael Samonek .... Screenwriter
- Mike Samonek .... Screenwriter
- David Schmidt .... Screenwriter
- Frederick Du Chau .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Racing stripes official movie site
- Racing stripes movie trailers:
- Awards and film festivals:
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Security censorship classification
102 minutes (1:42 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 6 January 2005