The Princess diaries - Anne Hathaway, Julie Andrews, Heather Matarazzo, Garry Marshall
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
She rocks. She rules. She reigns.
Shy San Francisco teenager Mia Thermopolis (Anne Hathaway) is thrown for a loop when, from out of the blue, she learns the astonishing news that she's a real-life princess! As the heir apparent to the crown of the small European principality of Genovia, Mia begins a comical journey toward the throne when her strict and formidable grandmother, Queen Clarisse Renaldi (Julie Andrews), shows up to give her "princess lessons". The two instantly clash - Mia has no intention of leaving her normal life to become the ruler of a far-off country, while Queen Clarisse insists it is her duty.
Clarisse is determined to do a complete makeover of this sparkling - if not polished - diamond in the rough so that she can take her rightful place in the royal line of succession. Now the reluctant princess must make the biggest decision of her life - whether to remain with her family and explore a budding romance with her best friend's brother Michael Moscovitz (Robert Schwartzman), or to leave everything behind to accept the royal responsibilities that come with being the Princess of Genovia.
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Romance adventure princess teen school queen European royalty
Persons of interest
- Anne Hathaway .... Mia Thermopolis
- Julie Andrews .... Queen Clarisse Renaldi
- Robert Schwartzman .... Michael Moscovitz
- Heather Matarazzo .... Lilly Moscovitz
- Mandy Moore .... Lana Thomas
- Erik von Detten .... Josh Bryant
- Terry Wayne .... Clark
- Patrick Flueger .... Jeremiah Hart
- Hector Elizondo .... Joe
- Caroline Goodall .... Helen
- Sean O'Bryan .... Mr O'Connell
- Garry Marshall .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- The princess diaries official movie site
- Awards and film festivals:
- See also The princess diaries 2: The royal engagement
- Studios and distributors:
Secret Agent Acid Thunder
That nice lady from The sound of music and Victor/Victoria delights me with the regal future of Monaco (in disguise as Genovia). Poor little nobody private schoolgirl is the unknowing heir to the throne, but she doesn't want it. Finally, a Disney movie with a character that declares the independence of her womanhood.
It's also the first children's movie that has an unhappy ending. She only reluctantly becomes the Queen of Pears and then only to save the queendom from the yucky Baron and his even yuckier wife.
Oh, yes, she gets the boy, too. It is Disney, after all.
Special Agent Matti
A sleeper Disney movie about an ugly duckling who turns into a beautiful swan and learns that it's what's inside that counts more than what's outside. A lesson that's easier to learn when you're rich, powerful and beautiful than when you're poor, powerless and ugly. That's the part that goes to Heather: rat-featured uber-loser, wise-cracking side-kick and useful connection to the nice boy who's too shy to take his light out from under the bushel.
The Princess diaries is a light-hearted teen flick with nothing more than school holidays and popcorn on its mind. The sequel is already in pre-production.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
- Disc: Single side, single layer
- Commentary: Garry Marshall
- Deleted scenes: Introduction by Garry Marshall
- Music videos:
- Miracles Happen by Myra
- Supergirl by Krystal Harris
- Production featurette: A new princess
- Languages: English, Italian
- Picture: Widescreen 1.85:1
- Subtitles: Croatian, English, English captions, French, Italian, Slovenian
Security censorship classification
115 minutes (1:55 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 13 September 2001
DVD rental: 4 April 2002
VHS rental: 4 April 2002
DVD retail: 23 October 2002
VHS retail: 23 October 2002
VHS retail: 4 December 2002 - Double pack
DVD retail: 10 November 2004 - Double pack
DVD retail: 5 July 2006 - Double pack