An old mistress (Une vieille maîtresse) - Fu'ad Aït Aattou, Roxane Mesquida, Asia Argento, Catherine Breillat
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
On the eve of the wedding of Ryno de Marigny (Fu'ad Aït Aattou) to the virtuous Hermangarde (Roxane Mesquida), Ryno's mistress of 10 years, the tempestuous Vellini (Asia Argento), refuses to accept that their passionate love affair has come to an end.
The film is the story of their affair, as told to Hermangarde's grandmother, the Marquise de Flers (Claude Sarraute), by Ryno, bookended by the events of the days leading up to and immediately after the marriage.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film drama France romance period costume manners mistress bride 19th century French morality
Persons of interest
- Asia Argento .... Vellini
- Fu'ad Aït Aattou .... Ryno de Marigny
- Roxane Mesquida .... Hermangarde
- Claude Sarraute .... La marquise de Flers
- Yolande Moreau .... La comtesse d'Artelles
- Michael Lonsdale .... Le vicomte de Prony
- Anne Parillaud .... Madame de Solcy
- Jean-Philippe Tesse .... Le vicomte de Mareuil
- Sarah Pratt .... La comtesse de Mendoze
- Amira Casar .... Mademoiselle Divine des Airelles
- Léa Seydoux .... Oliva
- Nicholas Hawtrey .... Sir Reginald
- Jules-Amédée Barbey d'Aurevilly .... Author
- Catherine Breillat .... Screenwriter
- Catherine Breillat .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- An old mistress (Une vieille maîtresse) official movie site
- An old mistress (Une vieille maîtresse) film production notes
- An old mistress (Une vieille maîtresse) QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Canberra International Film Festival 2007: Screening
- Cannes Film Festival 2007: Nominated: Golden Palm (Catherine Breillat)
- NB: French language dialogue with English language subtitles
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Despite being called An old mistress (Une vieille maîtresse), this film is not about some toothless old hag who has been left behind by a disinterested lover. Quite the opposite, the mistress is young, prepared to bite and doesn't take to being left behind at all. That's something that the young de Marigny should have kept in mind: if you play with fire you'll get burned.
And that's not the only thing that's hot: Fu'ad Aït Aattou is a French version of James McAvoy (see Becoming Jane) with the perfect blend of wit, charm, intelligence, sex and ennui. His amours, Roxane Mesquida as the passionate mistress and Asia Argento as the high-class wife, are the perfect contrast in feminine beauty. It's no wonder he can't make up his mind. Mind you, with so much blood being drained form his upper brain to his lower brain it's not that big a surprise.
The costumes, the locations, the manners, the times are all exquisitely and Frenchly accurate. If you like a good period French romance then An old mistress (Une vieille maîtresse) is just the ticket.
The drama, France, romance movie An old mistress (Une vieille maîtresse) is directed by Catherine Breillat and stars Fu'ad Aït Aattou, Roxane Mesquida, Asia Argento.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
- Languages: French
- Picture: Widescreen
- Special features:
- Deleted scenes
- Interviews: Catheriune Breillat
- Trailers: Theatrical
- Subtitles: English
Government security censorship classification
R 18+ (High level sex scenes)
114 minutes (1:54 hours)