Nanny McPhee and the big bang - Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Rhys Ifans, Susanna White
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
In the latest instalment, Nanny McPhee (Emma Thompson) appears at the door of a harried young mother who is trying to run the family farm while her husband is away at war. Once she's arrived, Nanny McPhee discovers that Mrs Green's (Maggie Gyllenhaal) children are fighting a war of their own against two nasty, snobby cousins who have just moved in and refuse to leave. From flying motorcycles and statues that come to life to a tree-climbing piglet and a baby elephant that turns up in the oddest places, Nanny McPhee uses her magic to teach her mischievous charges five new lessons.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film family fantasy UK nanny warts magic adventure children England farm World War II soldier pig jam
Persons of interest
- Ralph Fiennes .... Lord Gray
- Maggie Smith .... Mrs Docherty
- Maggie Gyllenhaal .... Mrs Green
- Emma Thompson .... Nanny McPhee
- Rhys Ifans .... Uncle Phil
- Asa Butterfield .... Norman
- Daniel Mays .... Blenkinsop
- Bill Bailey .... Farmer MacReadie
- Augustus Prew .... Lieutenant Addis
- Nonso Anozie .... Sergeant Jeffreys
- Sam Kelly .... Mr Spolding
- Katy Brand .... Miss Turvey
- Eros Vlahos .... Cyril
- Lil Woods .... Megsie
- Rosie Taylor-Ritson .... Celia
- Christianna Brand .... Author
- Emma Thompson .... Screenwriter
- Susanna White .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Nanny McPhee and the big bang official movie sites:
- Nanny McPhee and the big bang film production notes
- Nanny McPhee and the big bang QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- See also Nanny McPhee
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Nanny McPhee and the big bang is a light family fantasy that will keep younger children entertained for 1½ hours, which is a pity because the movie is closer to two hours long.
It's also a very English film with The War on, making everyone's lives a misery, class prejudice, top-class snobbery (I think that the English might have invented it, and if they didn't, they could certainly have patented it), farmyard animals and lashings of ginger beer.
Nanny McPhee does her usual tricks and, if it wasn't for the change in time, you could be forgiven for mistaking this film for the first one: silly adults, clever children, adventures and happy endings. If that's what you want for your kids to see, then go for it. Nanny McPhee and the big bang is G-rated so you know what to expect.
The family fantasy, UK movie Nanny McPhee and the big bang is directed by Susanna White and stars Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Rhys Ifans.
Government security censorship classification
109 minutes (1:49 hours)