My big fat Greek wedding
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Love is here to stay... so is her family.
Everyone in the Portokalos family worries about Toula (Nia Vardalos). Still unmarried at 30-years-old, she works at Dancing Zorba's, the Greek restaurant owned by her parents, Gus (Michael Constantine) and Maria (Lainie Kazan) and smells like garlic bread. Vowing that she'd rather stab herself in the eye with a red-hot poker than work in the restaurant for the rest of her life, Toula is ready for a change. Unfortunately, the rest of her family is not.
After taking a job at her aunt's travel agency, she falls in love with Ian Miller (John Corbett), a high school teacher who is tall, handsome and definitely not Greek. Toula isn't sure which will be more upsetting to her old-fashioned father, that Ian is a xeno (foreigner) or that he's a vegetarian. But none of it matters once he asks her to marry him. Toula knows that if he can pass muster with her crazy relatives and get baptised in the Greek Orthodox Church... their big fat Greek wedding, including one powder blue limousine, two ice sculptures and ten bridesmaids in turquoise dresses, will be a piece of cake, five layers high with a plastic staircase and a fountain of champagne.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film romantic comedy Greek migrant marriage venetarian Anglo
Persons of interest
- Nia Vardalos .... Toula Portokalos
- Christina Eleusiniotis .... Toula age 6
- Marita Zouravlioff .... Toula age 12
- Sarah Osman .... Athena age 15
- John Corbett .... Ian Miller
- Michael Constantine .... Gus Portokalos
- Lainie Kazan .... Maria Portokalos
- Andrea Martin .... Aunt Voula
- Joey Fatone .... Angelo
- Bess Meisler .... Yiayia
- Louis Mandylor .... Nick Portokalos
- Gerry Mendicino .... Uncle Taki
- Stavroula Logothettis .... Athena
- Nia Vardalos .... Playwright
- Nia Vardalos .... Screenwriter
- Joel Zwick .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Awards and film festivals:
- Australian Greek Film Festival 2002: Closing night film
- Cinematic Intelligence Agency Trenchcoat Awards 2003
- My big fat Greek wedding trailers:
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Theatrical reportThe wog chick.
My big fat Greek wedding is a big fat wog chick flick with ethnic comedy, romance and a big fat wedding. It's funny, it's sweet, it's romantic and it's Greek!
If you are a chick, a romantic, an ethnic (all right, I know, everyone's an ethnic), about to get married or married to any of the above, this one is for you.
Security censorship classification
94 minutes (1:34 hours)