My best enemy (Il mio miglior nemico) - Silvio Muccino, Ana Caterina Morariu, Agnese Nano, Carlo Vedone
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
You can't choose who you fall in love with... or their family!
Achille De Bellis (Carlo Verdone) is the CEO of a major hotel chain owned by his wife Gigliola (Agnese Nano) and brother-in-law Guglielmo (Paolo Triestino). He seems to have everything a man could desire: a beautiful home, a sound marriage and an excellent professional position. However, as his silver wedding anniversary draws near, every certainty in his life is overturned when he meets - or bumps into - a 23-year-old good-for-nothing called Orfeo (Silvio Muccino).
Orfeo lives in a working-class neighbourhood of Rome. Like his friends, he lacks much ambition, and manages to keep himself afloat with small unskilled jobs, while his afternoons tend to be passed in pointless discussions and chat. He never met his father, but grew up fast, forced to care for his unbalanced mother who is incapable of facing everyday life and whose mood swings between depression and euphoria.
When Achille fires Annarita (Sara Bertelà) for theft, Orfeo is convinced that his mother has been wrongly accused, and decides to take his revenge. He starts following Achille in order to discover his weaknesses and ruin his existence.
Achille's main weakness is called Ramona (Corinne Jiga), his sister-in-law.
Things get complicated for Orfeo too, when he falls in love with Cecilia (Ana Caterina Morariu).
After their first encounter, Achille and Orfeo's lives start to fall to pieces in a curious parallel way, although this forced closeness will explode into a strange friendship, a kind of father-son relationship.
Nominated for 12 David di Donatello awards My best enemy (Il mio miglior nemico) is a delightful comedy that reunites actor-director Carlo Verdone with his Manual of love co-star Silvio Muccino in an hilarious tale of two nemeses coming together for the love of a girl: One happens to be her boyfriend, the other, her father.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film drama Italy romance Italian comedy wedding anniversary adultery mistress family
Persons of interest
- Carlo Verdone .... Achille De Bellis
- Silvio Muccino .... Orfeo Rinalduzzi
- Ana Caterina Morariu .... Cecilia
- Agnese Nano .... Gigliola Duranti
- Sara Bertelà .... Annarita Rinalduzzi
- Nicola Di Gioia .... Tonino
- Corinne Jiga .... Ramona
- Leonardo Petrillo .... Riccardo
- Paolo Triestino .... Guglielmo Duranti
- Silvio Muccino .... Screenwriter
- Pasquale Plastino .... Screenwriter
- Silvia Ranfagni .... Screenwriter
- Carlo Verdone .... Screenwriter
- Carlo Verdone .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- My best enemy (Il mio miglior nemico) official movie site
- My best enemy (Il mio miglior nemico) film production notes
- My best enemy (Il mio miglior nemico) QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Australian Italian Film Festival 2006: Screening
- David di Donatello Awards 2006: Nominated: Best Actor (Carlo Verdone), Best Actress (Ana Caterina Morariu), Best Cinematography (Danilo Desideri), Best Costume Design (Tatiana Romanoff), Best Director (Carlo Verdone), Best Editing (Claudio Di Mauro), Best Film (Aurelio De Laurentiis, Carlo Verdone), Best Producer (Aurelio De Laurentiis), Best Production Design (Maurizio Marchitelli), Best Screenplay (Silvio Muccino, Pasquale Plastino, Silvia Ranfagni, Carlo Verdone), Best Sound (Gaetano Carito), David of the Youth (Carlo Verdone)
- NB: Italian language dialogue with English language subtitles
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
My best enemy is a warm, fuzzy, fumbly comedy-romance-drama about arseholes (men) and the women whom they drive insane. It's an unchallenging look at the modern world but an enjoyable one and very Italian. If there was any more hand-waving you'd mistake it for semaphore school.
The drama, Italy, romance movie My best enemy (Il mio miglior nemico) is directed by Carlo Vedone and stars Silvio Muccino, Ana Caterina Morariu, Agnese Nano.
Government security censorship classification
M (Moderate coarse language, moderate drug and sexual references)
108 minutes (1:48 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 11 January 2007