Muppets from space
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Space: it's not as deep as you think.
The Muppets are back in the zany comedy Muppets from space, a hilarious extraterrestrial adventure about the search for Gonzo's past.
On a quest with buddy Rizzo to find his real family, Gonzo discovers that his long-lost relatives are actually aliens from a distant planet. After announcing to the world on Miss Piggy's talk show that he is living proof that "we are not alone in the universe", Gonzo becomes the target of paranoid government operative K Edgar Singer (Jeffrey Tambor).
Persons of interest
- Dave Goelz .... Gonzo, Dr Bunsen Honeydew, Waldorf, The Bird Man, Swedish Chef, Zoot
- Steve Whitmire .... Kermit the Frog, Rizzo the Rat, Beaker, Cosmic Fish #1, Bean Bunny, Beach Hippie
- Bill Barretta .... Pepe the Prawn, Bobo as Rentro, Johnny Fiama, Bubba the Rat, Cosmic Fish #2, Dr Teeth, Rowlf
- Jerry Nelson .... Robin, Statler, Ubergonzo, Floyd
- Brian Henson .... Dr Phil Van Neuter, Sal Minella, Talking Sandwich
- Kevin Clash .... Clifford
- Frank Oz .... Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam the Eagle, Swedish Chef (hands)
- Jeffrey Tambor .... K Edgar Singer
- F Murray Abraham .... Noah
- Rob Schneider .... TV Producer
- Josh Charles .... Agent Barker
- Ray Liotta .... Gate Guard
- David Arquette .... Dr Tucker
- Andie MacDowell .... Shelley Snipes
- Jerry Juhl .... Screenwriter
- Joseph Mazzarino .... Screenwriter
- Ken Kaufman .... Screenwriter
- Timothy Hill .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Muppets from space official movie site
Special Agent Matti
Gonzo goes galactic.
Taking a turn away from the expected, Muppets Inc puts the entire focus of this film onto the decidedly wacky Gonzo and asks the big question: what on earth is he? (It's like Goofy: Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, but what is Goofy?)
The answer, as you will have guessed, is that Gonzo is from outer space (hence his predilection for chickens and being shot out of cannons, both of which apparently go over big out there among the stars). The fun part about the movie is getting to that point. Taking broad swipes at The X-Files, Star trek, Close encounters of the third kind, prison movies, spy movies and anything else that gets in its way, Muppets from space is an advance on everything that The Muppets have done before: it's more mature, more coherent, more ironic, wittier and has a better sense of self.
The supporting characters also get to have more fun: Rizzo the rat picks up a thousand gags while the Mexican shrimp whose name is escaping me (King Prawn?) steals every scene he's in. Actually, after watching this movie he's become my favourite Muppet character!
But wait, there's more! The kiddie-winks will love this film because there are heaps of songs, lots of action, gags, colour and movement. The sex, irony and puns will go straight over their heads, but that's where the adults can get their entertainment (just like a Christmas panto).
I hvae no hesitation in recommending Muppets from space to everyone who likes having a good time.
Media intelligence (DVD)
Trailer: Theatrical, teaser, Stuart Little promo, Hook promo, Muppets take Manhattan promo
Deleted scenes: 19
Music video: Shining stars by The Dust Brothers
Commentary: Tim Hill (director), Kermit, Rizzo, Gonzo
Filmographies Tim Hill, Frank Oz, Steve Whimire, Dave Goelz
Security censorship classification
85 minutes (1:25 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
DVD rental: 28 June 2000