Threat advisory: Under evaluation
Cult Japanese director Sabu delivers a meticulously crafted black comedy about an ordinary salary man sucked deeper and deeper into extraordinary circumstances.
One Monday morning Takagi (Shinichi Tsutsumi) wakes up in a hotel room and tries to remember how he got there. A package of purification salts reminds him of a funeral he went to a few days earlier; and the long struggle to reconstruct the past few days begins.
Funny, ironic and moving at the same time, Monday is a genuine audience pleaser.
Also starring Yasuko Matsuyuki, Ren Osugi, Masanobu Ando, Hideki Noda. Written and directed by Sabu.
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Awards and film festivals:
- Berlin International Film Festival: Won: critic's prize
- Brisbane Film Festival: Official selection
- Sydney Film Festival: top 10 audience favourite
- NB: Japanese with English language subtitles
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Security censorship classification
100 minutes (1:40 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Undated May 2001