Miss Potter - Renée Zellweger, Ewan McGregor, Emily Watson, Chris Noonan
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
The life of Beatrix Potter is the most enchanting tale of all.
Directed by Australian director Chris Noonan and starring Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor, Miss Potter tells the magical story of Beatrix Potter's love for her publisher, Norman Warne, and her striving towards an independent life at a time when her expected place in society was as a wife. It praises her talented pen - both as writer and artist - that created the world of Peter Rabbit, Mrs Tiggy-winkle, Jeremy Fisher and friends. It tells the story of a woman whose life was a fascinating mix of professional achievement and private grief; a woman who swum against the tide.
Beatrix Potter was a literary phenomenon of the early 20th Century. At a time when most young women of her class aimed only to make a good marriage, Beatrix became an iconic figure, swimming quietly, but with great fortitude, against the tide. She created a series of books and characters that are as beloved today as they were a hundred years ago, and since their publication they have never been out of print. She was also a distinguished painter and - had she been a man - her botanical drawings would have been snapped up by the Royal Horticultural Society at sew Gardens. In addition, by the time she died in 1943, Beatrix Potter had purchased vast swathes of the Lake District that she left to the National Trust. That so much of this glorious countryside remains as it was in Beatrix Potter's day for others to enjoy, is her bequest to the nation.
This is her story...
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film biography historical Victorian era novel Helen Beatrix Potter author children Peter Rabbit
Persons of interest
- Lucy Boynton .... Beatrix as a child
- Barbara Flynn .... Helen Potter
- Matyelok Gibbs .... Miss Wiggin
- Jane How .... Lady Armitage
- Justin McDonald .... Young William Heelis
- Ewan McGregor .... Norman Warne
- Richard Mulholland .... Ashton Clifford
- Lloyd Owen .... William Heelis
- Bill Paterson .... Rupert Potter
- Emily Watson .... Millie Warne
- Renée Zellweger .... Beatrix Potter
- Richard Maltby Jr .... Screenwriter
- Chris Noonan .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Miss Potter official movie sites:
- Production log
- Miss Potter film production notes
- Miss Potter QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (Golden Globes) 2006: Nominated: Best Actress In A Motion Picture - Comedy Or Musical (Renee Zellweger)
- See also Becoming Jane, Finding Neverland, Angel
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Miss Potter is a delightful biography of the author of a series of charming children's books and a cautionary tale of how much life can suck (happiness delayed is happiness wasted - see Brokeback Mountain). It's not as dramatic as the latest Jane Austen biopic (therein lies a tale of circumstances - see Becoming Jane) but it is a lot lovelier. The Lake District scenery is a big help.
This is a good film.
Security censorship classification
88 minutes (1:28 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 25 January 2007