Mary and Max - Toni Collette, Eric Bana, Barry Humphries, Adam Elliot
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Mary and Max is a claymation feature film from the creators of the Academy Award-winning short animation Harvie Krumpet.
It is a simple tale of pen-friendship between two very different people; Mary Dinkle (Bethany Whitmore), a chubby lonely 8-year-old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max Horovitz (Philip Seymour Hoffman), a 44-year-old, severely obese, Jewish man with Asperger's Syndrome living in the chaos of New York.
Spanning 20 years and 2 continents, Mary and Max's friendship survives much more than the average diet of life's ups and downs. Like Harvie Krumpet, Mary and Max is innocent but not naive, as it takes us on a journey that explores friendship, autism, taxidermy, psychiatry, alcoholism, where babies come from, obesity, kleptomania, sexual difference, trust, copulating dogs, religious difference, agoraphobia and much much more.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film animation Australia drama letter writing pen pal life Melbourne New York claymation
Persons of interest
- Toni Collette .... Mary Daisy Dinkle
- Philip Seymour Hoffman .... Max Jerry Horovitz
- Eric Bana .... Damien
- Barry Humphries .... Narrator
- Bethany Whitmore .... Young Mary
- Renée Geyer .... Vera
- Ian 'Molly' Meldrum .... Homeless Man
- Adam Elliot .... Screenwriter
- Adam Elliot .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Mary and Max official movie site
- Mary and Max film production notes
- Mary and Max QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Australian Film Critics Association Awards 2009: Commended: Best Australian Film
- Film Critics Circle of Australia 2009: Nominated: Best Director (Adam Elliott)
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
If you like Harvie Krumpet then you'll love Mary and Max. It has the same sharp-edged, doom-and-gloom sense of humour. If it was any sharper, Adam Elliot would cut himself. By the end of the film I didn't know whether to cut my wrists or wet myself laughing. Hee, hee, hee, splat.
The animation, Australia, drama movie Mary and Max is directed by Adam Elliot and stars Toni Collette, Eric Bana, Barry Humphries.
Government security censorship classification
90 minutes (1:30 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 9 April 2009