Kangaroo Jack (Down and under)
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
He stole the money... and he's not giving it back.
Best friends Charlie Carbone (Jerry O'Connell) and Louis Booker (Anthony Anderson) are both struggling to get ahead in life - but their approaches couldn't be more different.
Louis is an eternal optimist, which is a good thing considering he's also a magnet for bad luck. Ever since he saved Charlie's life 20 years ago, Louis has embroiled them in a series of shady get-rich-quick schemes, which has only compounded Charlie's reputation as the ultimate loser in the eyes of his intimidating stepfather, mob boss Sal Maggio (Christopher Walken).
More sceptical and low-profile than Louis, Charlie just wants to play by the rules, meet the right girl and make a success of his new business, which is tough with Sal skimming all the profits. But when Louis recruits Charlie to help him escort a truckload of stolen TVs across town, they inadvertently lead police straight to Sal's warehouse, jam-packed with hot property.
Just when it looks like the guys might wind up sleeping with the fishes, Sal decides to give Charlie and his bumbling sidekick one last chance for redemption. All they have to do is deliver $50,000 cash to one of Sal's associates in a remote outpost... the Australian outback!
Persons of interest
- Jerry O'Connell .... Charlie Carbone
- Anthony Anderson .... Louis Booker
- Estella Warren .... Jessie
- Dyan Cannon .... Anna Carbone
- Michael Shannon .... Frankie the Vermin
- Christopher Walken .... Sal Maggio
- Marton Csokas .... Mr Smith
- David Ngoombujarra .... Mr Jimmy
- Bill Hunter .... Blue
- Steve Bing .... Screenwriter
- Lowell Ganz .... Screenwriter
- Babaloo Mandel .... Screenwriter
- Scott Rosenberg .... Screenwriter
- Gary Ross .... Screenwriter
- David McNally .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Awards and film festivals:
- Kangaroo Jack official movie site
- Kangaroo Jack QuickTime movie trailers
- cf. Crocodile Dundee in LA
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Theatrical reportKangaroo Jack. Just like it sounds.
There's a kangaroo and there's some dumb Yanks wandering around the outback and there are some camels (camels are always good for a laugh) and there are some dumb Aussie psycho alcoholics, just like in real life.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
- Languages: English
- Picture: Widescreen (1.85:1/16:9 enhanced)
- Special features:
- Kangaroo Jack
- Jerry O'Connell, Anthony Anderson, Estella Warren, David McNally, Steve Bing, Scott Rosenberg, Hoyt Yeaman (Visual effects supervisor)
- Casting session: uncut - Outrageous animal auditions
- Gags and Out-takes: Side-splitting cutting room floor goodies
- Jackie Legs' dance grooves: Learn how to do Jackie's cool marsupial moves
- Behind the gas: The sound mixer's job of finding the perfect sound for the flatulent camel
- Marsupial magic: How Jackie was transformed from Outback wannabe to screen sensation... in his own words
Security censorship classification
PG (Medium level violence, low level coarse language)
89 minutes (1:29 hours)