In the shadow of the moon - Jim Lovell, Mike Collins, Buzz Aldrin, David Sington
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
Remember when the whole world looked up.
In the shadow of the moon is an intimate epic, which vividly communicates the daring and the danger, the pride and the passion, of this extraordinary era in American history. Between 1968 and 1972, the world watched in awe each time an American spacecraft voyaged to the moon.
Only 12 American men walked upon its surface and they remain the only human beings to have stood on another world. Now for the first, and very possibly the last, time, In the shadow of the moon combines archival material from the original NASA film footage, much of it never before seen, with interviews with the surviving astronauts, including Jim Lovell (Apollo 8 and 13), Dave Scott (Apollo 9 and 15), John Young (Apollo 10 and 16), Gene Cernan (Apollo 10 and 17), Mike Collins (Apollo 11), Buzz Aldrin (Apollo 11), Alan Bean (Apollo 12), Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14), Charlie Duke (Apollo 16) and Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17). The astronauts emerge as eloquent, witty, emotional and very human.
In the shadow of the moon features exclusive NASA film footage including astonishing space shots re-mastered from the original film rolls to reveal the Apollo program with a visual clarity and impact it has never had before. The mute 16 mm rolls shot in Mission Control have been painstakingly lip-synced with the 16-track audio recordings of the mission controllers' voice loop to re-unite the pictures and sound of many historic moments for the first time, lending a striking immediacy to many dramatic scenes.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film documentary history lunar landing moon NASA Mission control Apollo interview astronaut space
Persons of interest
- Jim Lovell .... Himself
- Dave Scott .... Himself
- John Young .... Himself
- Gene Cernan .... Himself
- Mike Collins .... Himself
- Buzz Aldrin .... Himself
- Alan Bean .... Himself
- Edgar Mitchell .... Himself
- Charlie Duke .... Himself
- Harrison Schmitt .... Himself
- David Sington .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- In the shadow of the moon official movie site
- In the shadow of the moon film production notes
- In the shadow of the moon QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Boulder International Film Festival 2007: Won: Grand Prize (David Sington)
- British Independent Film Awards 2007: Nominated: Best British Documentary
- Florida Film Festival 2007: Won: Audience Award International Competition
- London Film Festival 2007: Screening
- Sundance Film Festival 2007: Won: Audience Award World Cinema - Documentary (David Sington); Nominated: Grand Jury Prize World Cinema - Documentary (David Sington)
- NB: Black and white, colour
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
You need to be a geek to watch this film. It's not a great record of life in space and there are a lot of talking heads, mostly old people who went to the moon, but if you liked Apollo XIII for the blinking lights then you'll like In the shadow of the moon.
The documentary, history movie In the shadow of the moon is directed by David Sington and stars Jim Lovell, Mike Collins, Buzz Aldrin.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
- Languages: English
- Picture: Widescreen
- Special features:
- Behind the shadow
- Scoring Apollo
- Interviews: David Sington (Director)
- Trailers: Theatrical
Government security censorship classification
96 minutes (1:36 hours)