Hard candy - Patrick Wilson, Ellen Page, Sandra Oh, Jennifer Holmes, David Slade
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Hayley Stark's (Ellen Page) a smart, charming teenage girl - but even smart girls make mistakes. She's hooking up in a coffee shop with Jeff Kohlver (Patrick Wilson), a guy she's met on the internet. And even though he's a cute, smooth high-end fashion photographer in his early 30s, Hayley shouldn't be suggesting that the two of them go back to his house alone.
When they get there, Hayley quickly finds some vodka and starts mixing screwdrivers. She even suggests a photo shoot and strips off some clothing. Everything is going well for Jeff... until his vision blurs and fades, and he passes out.
It turns out Hayley has spiked Jeff's screwdriver, and when he revives, he's tied down with Hayley searching through his place. She doesn't think it'll take too long to get a confession that she's not the first teenage girl Jeff's brought home and, more importantly, that her prisoner knows what happened to Donna Mauer, another girl who disappeared from Jeff's favourite coffee shop. And if he's unwilling to confess, well, she has another plan.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film drama photograph teen adult internet relationship paedophilia date rape drug kidnap sex abuse
Persons of interest
- Patrick Wilson .... Jeff Kohlver
- Ellen Page .... Hayley Stark
- Sandra Oh .... Judy Tokuda
- Jennifer Holmes .... Janelle Rogers
- Brian Nelson .... Screenwriter
- David Slade .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Hard candy official movie site
- Hard candy film production notes
- Hard candy QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- British Independent Film Awards 2006: Nominated: Best Foreign Independent Film
- Sydney Film Festival 2006: Hot spot
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Wow. On the one hand, Hard candy is a reasonably gritty (ie genital-free) descent into one aspect of the world of paedophilia. On the other hand, Hard candy is an empowerment of the victim/survivor. On the other other hand, Hard candy is a hard-core psycho-sexual thriller. You could even say that it's Saw meets Mysterious skin meets The woodsman. Talk about yummy paedophile goodness...
Security censorship classification
R 18+ (High level sexual themes, high level violence)
104 minutes (1:44 hours)