Gods and Generals
Threat advisory: Under evaluation
The nation's heart was touched by.... gods and generals.
Gods and Generals, the epic screen adaptation of Jeff Shaara's heralded best-selling novel, is a dramatic look back at the USA Civil War - America's bloodiest conflict, in which more than 620,000 lives were lost. A prequel to the acclaimed screen drama Gettysburg, also directed by Ron Maxwell, the film is based on events that are sweeping in scope and made all the more compelling by the human-scaled drama it depicts.
A moving portrayal of a nation divided, Gods and Generals begins in early 1861 and continues through to 1863, climaxing with the stunning Battle of Chancellorsville. The film illuminates heroes from both sides of the war, such as Colonel Joshua Chamberlain (Jeff Daniels), a professor at Maine's Bowdoin College who gave up a promising academic career to enlist in the Union Army, then went on to become one of the North's finest military leaders; Confederate Generals Robert E Lee (Robert Duvall), a distinguished 25-year veteran of the USA Army and native Virginian, forced to choose between allegiance to his country and loyalty to his home state; and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson (Stephen Lang), a devoutly religious man whose faith and courage and audacity made him an outstanding soldier and Lee's most trusted Lieutenant.
The tremendous suffering and bravery of the Civil War was not confined to the battlefields. Gods and Generals also tells the story of the wives and families who were forced to assume responsibility at home, often in cities under direct attack from the enemy. Joshua Chamberlain's wife Fanny (Mira Sorvino), Thomas Jackson's wife Anna (Kali Rocha) and Jane Beale (Mia Dillon), whose family was caught in the Battle of Fredericksburg, reflect the spirit, courage and anxiety of those who were left behind.
Prequel to the 1993 film Gettysburg.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film historical true drama USA Civil War
Persons of interest
- Stephen Lang .... General Stonewall Jackson
- Robert Duvall .... General Robert E Lee
- Chris Conner .... John Wilkes Booth
- C Thomas Howell .... Tom Chamberlain
- Kevin Conway .... Sergeant "Buster" Kilrain
- Patrick Gorman .... Brigadier General John Bell Hood
- Brian Mallon .... Brigadier General Winfield Scott Hancock
- Matt Lindquist .... Heros Von Borcke
- Bo Brinkman .... Major Walter H Taylor
- Royce D Applegate .... Brigadier General James L Kemper
- Cooper Huckabee .... Henry T Harrison
- Jeff Shaara .... Author
- Ronald F Maxwell .... Screenwriter
- Ronald F Maxwell .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Gods and Generals official movie site
- Gods and Generals QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Security censorship classification
M (Medium level violence, adult themes)