Everything is illuminated - Elijah Wood, Eugene Hutz, Boris Leskin, Liev Schreiber
Threat advisory: Under evaluation
Leave normal behind.
Based on the acclaimed, best-selling novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything is illuminated tells the story of Jonathan (Elijah Wood), a young American Jewish man's quest to find the woman who saved his grandfather - in a small Ukrainian town that was wiped off the map by the Nazi invasion.
The journey begins as a comic nightmare - with an eccentric trio of paid "expert" guides sorely lacking in expertise: a cranky grandfather who insists on bringing his unruly seeing-eye dog to help him drive, and his over-enthusiastic grandson, whose fractured command of English, passion for retro American pop culture, and inability to shut up threaten to make the worst of every situation.
But what starts out as the tour from hell turns into a surprisingly meaningful journey - with an unexpected and powerful series of revelations that will indelibly change all of their lives.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film drama Jew Ukraine escape return Nazi sunflower
Persons of interest
- Elijah Wood .... Jonathan
- Eugene Hutz .... Alex
- Boris Leskin .... Alex' Grandfather
- Jonathan Safran Foer .... Author
- Liev Schreiber .... Screenwriter
- Liev Schreiber .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Everything is illuminated official movie site
- Everything is illuminated film production notes
- Everything is illuminated QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Australian Festival of Jewish Cinema 2005: Australian première
- London Film Festival 2005: Film on the Square
- Venice Film Festival 2005: Horizons
- NB: English and Russian languages with English language subtitles
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Security censorship classification
M (Suicidal theme, moderate coarse language)
115 minutes (1:55 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 24 November 2005