Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
The only way out is in.
Geophysicist Doctor Josh Keyes (Aaron Eckhart) discovers that an unknown force has caused the Earth's inner core to stop rotating. With the planet's magnetic field rapidly deteriorating, our atmosphere literally starts to come apart at the seams with catastrophic consequences. To resolve the crisis, Keyes, along with a team of the world's most gifted scientists, travel into the Earth's core in a subterranean craft piloted by "terranauts" Major Rebecca "Beck" Childs (Hilary Swank) and Colonel Robert Iverson (Bruce Greenwood). Their mission: detonate a device that will reactivate the core.
Persons of interest
- Aaron Eckhart .... Doctor Joshua "Josh" Keyes
- Hilary Swank .... Major Rebecca "Beck" Childs
- Stanley Tucci .... Doctor Conrad Zimsky
- Delroy Lindo .... Doctor Ed "Braz" Brazzelton
- Tchéky Karyo .... Doctor Serge Leveque
- Richard Jenkins .... General Thomas Purcell
- Alfre Woodard .... Talma Stickley
- DJ Qualls .... Taz "Rat" Finch
- Bruce Greenwood .... Commander Robert "Bob" Iverson
- Dion Johnstone .... Flight Engineer Timmins
- Christopher Shyer .... Dave Perry
- Ray Galletti .... Paul
- Eileen Pedde .... Lynne
- Rekha Sharma .... Danni
- Tom Scholte .... Acker
- Cooper Layne .... Screenwriter
- Eric Bernt .... Screenwriter
- Sean Bailey .... Screenwriter
- John Rogers .... Screenwriter
- Jon Amiel .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- The core official movie site
- The core QuickTime movie trailers
- See also Sunshine
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Journey to the centre of the Earth meets Escape from Mars.
There is some really dodgy science but the special effects are pretty. If they'd spent a little less money on effects and a little more on a science advisor The core would've been a better film.
- A prime number is an integer that is grater than 1 and has no integral factors but itself and 1 yet Josh uses "1, 2, 5, 7..." to crack a code sent by Rat.
- Radio can now transmit through the planet while I can't even get a signal on my mobile phone through the walls of my house.
- The terranaut "train" has a flat bottom even though it doesn't run on tracks.
- Anyone can survive the sudden stop after a drop of 50 metres while travelling at several hundred kilometres an hour.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
- Languages: English
- Picture: Widescreen (2.35:1 anamorphic)
- Special features:
- Commentaries: Jon Amiel
- Deleted/Extended scenes: 10 with commentary by Jon Amiel
- Documentaries: The making of The core
- Featurettes: Visual effects
- Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Closed captions, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, English captions, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovene, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
Security censorship classification
M (Adult themes, low level coarse language)
129 minutes (2:09 hours)