Coraline (Coraline and the secret door) - Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Jennifer Saunders, Henry Selick
Threat advisory: Severe - Severe risk of entertaining activities
Coraline (Dakota Fanning) walks through a secret door in her new home and discovers an alternate version of her life. On the surface, this parallel reality is eerily similar to her real life - only much better. But when this wondrously off-kilter, fantastical adventure turns dangerous, and her counterfeit parents try to keep her forever, Coraline must count on her resourcefulness, determination, and bravery to get back home - and save her family.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film adventure animation fantasy children alternate reality family
Persons of interest
- Dakota Fanning .... Coraline
- Ian McShane .... Mr Bobinski
- Teri Hatcher .... Coraline's Mother/Other Mother
- Keith David .... The Cat
- Jennifer Saunders .... Miss Forcible
- Dawn French .... Miss Spink
- John Hodgman .... Coraline's Father/Other Father
- Neil Gaiman .... Author
- Henry Selick .... Screenwriter
- Henry Selick .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Coraline and the secret door official movie sites:
- Coraline and the secret door film production notes
- Coraline and the secret door QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS - Oscars) 2010: Nominated: Best animated feature film
- Studios and distributors:
Agent Chereine Waddell
In response to having seen the screening of Coraline, I'd like to say that I thought it was a really great animation and extremely wonderful experience in 3D.
Being a great fan of Henry Selick's work in The nightmare before Christmas, it was not hard to see the similarity in style and design but I loved that gothic/fantasy element about the film. Any Tim Burton fan would adore it. It is a film I'd be happy to have in my DVD collection.
My rating is probably biased in that I am a huge animation geek and a lover of Selick's creativity and quirkiness. However I have had some experience in stop animation puppetry and therefore know and appreciate the huge amounts of labour and dedication that go into making such a film. Not only that but the bonus of seeing such craftsmanship in 3D heightened the experience far and beyond my expectations. it was brilliantly composed both in story and in production.
The storyline was imaginative and the hidden message of comparing and appreciating one's own parents was one we could all relate to from our childhoods, I am sure. The characters were theatrical, eccentric, humorous and varied in nature, keeping the audience's attention while the story line was being built. Neil Gaiman and Henry Selick combined beautifully to capture the curiosity and limitless creativity of the child's mind. They make a fabulous team. I felt it would be a film enjoyable for both child and adult, bravo on such a success.
Would love to see many more stop motion in 3D!!
The adventure, animation, fantasy movie Coraline and the secret door is directed by Henry Selick and stars Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Jennifer Saunders.
Government security censorship classification
PG (Menacing themes and scary scenes)
100 minutes (1:40 hours)