The cooler - William H Macy, Alec Baldwin, Maria Bello, Wayne Kramer
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Love... you have to play to win.
Bernie Lootz (William H Macy) is the unluckiest guy in Vegas. From a failed marriage to an estranged son to a lost cat, everything Bernie touches turns bad.
Once upon a time, Bernie was a troubled gambler with markers all over town, including a big tab at the Shangri-La casino run by his friend Shelly Kaplow (Alec Baldwin). When Bernie couldn't pay the debts, Shelly saved Bernie's life by covering them, but then disabled Bernie by kneecapping him, causing Bernie to walk with a limp. Also, Shelly made Bernie work the floor of the Shangri-La, allowing Bernie the chance to pay off his debt day by day over the course of many years.
Shelly recognised that Bernie's luck was so bad it was contagious, so Shelly made Bernie the casino's "cooler". All it takes is Bernie's mere presence at a hot table to kill the winning streak. If he should so much as touch the dice, you're looking at the Las Vegas version of a nuclear winter.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film crime casino Las Vegas romance gamble loser
Persons of interest
- William H Macy .... Bernie Lootz
- Alec Baldwin .... Shelly Kaplow
- Maria Bello .... Natalie Belisario
- Shawn Hatosy .... Mikey
- Ron Livingston .... Larry Sokolov
- Paul Sorvino .... Buddy Stafford
- Estella Warren .... Charlene
- Arthur J Nascarella .... Nicky "Fingers" Bonnatto
- Joey Fatone .... Johnny Cappella
- Frank Hannah .... Screenwriter
- Wayne Kramer .... Screenwriter
- Wayne Kramer .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- The cooler official movie site
- The cooler QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Cinematic Intelligence Agency Trenchcoat Awards 2004: Nominated: Best white trash (Charlene - Estella Warren)
- Deauville Festival of American Film 2003: Nomination: Grand Special Prize (Wayne Kramer)
- Karlovy Vary International Film Festival 2003: Nomination: Crystal Globe (Wayne Kramer)
- Sundance Film Festival 2003: Nomination: Grand Jury Prize Dramatic (Wayne Kramer)
- See also Croupier, Intacto, Judas kiss, Loser
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
There's nothing like a loser. Bernie Lootz is a loser. Shelly Kaplow is a loser. Everyone is a loser. Hey, it's Las Vegas: the house always wins.
The loser is like the TV series Las Vegas but for the art-house set rather than the action set.
Security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Drug use, medium level sex scenes, medium level violence)
102 minutes (1:42 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 13 May 2004