Confession of pain (Shang cheng) - Tony Leung, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Qi Shu, Andrew Lau, Alan Mak
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
The heart is a lonely hunter...
From the makers of the acclaimed Infernal Affairs comes the new Hong Kong blockbuster starring Asian superstars Tony Leung (Hero, In the mood for love) and Takeshi Kaneshiro (House of Flying Daggers) in their first film together.
In a city of love and prosperity, of lost hope and premature death, veteran detective Hei feels it all: the hurt, the helplessness, the horror. When the billionaire benefactor Kim is gruesomely murdered in his palatial mansion, he enlists the assistance of his former partner turned private detective, Bong. On the surface, the murder smacks of a vendetta that has taken a lifetime to fulfil. But no sooner has Bong agreed to crack the case with Hei than he realizes nothing is what it appears to be. Undoubtedly, they are after a monster in a perfect crime: every detail was meticulously orchestrated, every motive conveniently justifiable and every culprit and potential witness mysteriously eliminated.
As the two investigators get closer to the killer they realise that they are on the verge of something much more baffling. The killer has a secret - a big secret - and has hatched a plan so insidious that it will make them question the very heart of their friendship. Confession of pain (Shang cheng) is one of Asia's most anticipated movies this year.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film crime Hong Kong mystery murder private detective police kill witness
Persons of interest
- Tony Leung Chiu Wai .... Detective Hei
- Takeshi Kaneshiro .... Bong
- Qi Shu .... Feng
- Jinglei Xu .... Susan
- Chapman To .... Tsui Wing-kwong
- Hua Yueh .... Chow Yuan-sing
- Yeung Ming Wan .... Uncle Man
- Emme Wong .... Rachel
- Bo-yuan Chan
- Ankie Beilke
- Yiu-Cheung Lai
- Toby Leung
- Shaun Tam
- Monie Tung
- Felix Chong .... Screenwriter
- Wai Keung Lau .... Director
- Siu Fai Mak .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Confession of pain (Shang cheng) official movie site
- Confession of pain (Shang cheng) film production notes
- Confession of pain (Shang cheng) QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Hong Kong Film Awards 2007: Won: Best Cinematography (Wai Keung Lau, Yiu-Fai Lai); Nominated: Best Actor (Tony Leung Chiu Wai), Best Art Direction (Lim Chung Man), Best Costume & Make Up Design (Lim Chung Man), Best Film Editing (Wai Chiu Chung), Best Original Film Score (Kwong Wing Chan), Best Screenplay (Felix Chong, Siu Fai Mak)
- NB: Cantonese language dialogue with English language subtitles
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Confession of pain (Shang cheng) is more of a police drama than a cop crime movie and while it includes some well-worn clichés it's still worth watching.
The crime, Hong Kong, mystery movie Confession of pain (Shang cheng) is directed by Andrew Lau, Alan Mak and stars Tony Leung, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Qi Shu.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- Languages: English
- Picture: Widescreen (16:9)
Government security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Strong violence, strong themes, strong sexual reference)
111 minutes (1:51 hours)