Cellular - Kim Basinger, Chris Evans, Jason Statham, David R Ellis
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
If the signal goes, so does she.
A young man (Chris Evans) receives a call on his mobile phone from a woman (Kim Basinger) who says she's been kidnapped, and thinks she's going to be killed soon, along with her husband and son whom the kidnappers have gone after next. The catch? She doesn't know where she is... and his battery might go dead soon.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film thriller kidnap mobile cell phone
Persons of interest
- Kim Basinger .... Jessica Martin
- Chris Evans .... Ryan
- Eric Christian Olsen .... Chad
- Jessica Biel .... Chloe
- Richard Burgi .... Craig Martin
- Eddie Driscoll .... Ronnie
- Eric Etebari .... Dimitri
- Bryan Holly .... Janitor
- Brendan Kelly .... Mad Dog
- William H Macy .... Mooney
- Jason Statham .... Greer
- Larry Cohen .... Storywriter
- Eric Bress .... Screenwriter
- Larry Cohen .... Screenwriter
- J Mackye Gruber .... Screenwriter
- Chris Morgan .... Screenwriter
- David R Ellis .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Cellular official movie site
- Cellular movie trailers:
- Awards and film festivals:
- FYI: In the USA, mobile phone users are charged for incoming calls, hence Ryan's reference to "using up [his] minutes". Also, mobile phones are called cellular or cell phones (as users can move from "cell" to "cell")
- See also Phone booth
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Cellular is Phone booth for a more digital age. Because there's lots of running around it's more action-oriented but they're still the same.
There are plenty of clichés, especially in the structure of the script (eg the opening scene tells us that Kim Basinger's character is a high school science teacher - yeah right, as if any high school teacher ever looked like Kim Basinger - which comes in handy when she rebuilds a shattered telephone). Chris Evans' character Ryan starts out as a young, dumb, full of cum LA dude with a crappy attitude and hair that goes up then, after having the crap kicked out of him, turns into a young, clever, full of cum LA dude with a mature attitude and hair that goes down. Chris is much better looking with hair that goes down.
Cellular is popcorn but fun.
Security censorship classification
M (Medium level violence, low level coarse language)
94 minutes (1:34 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 10 February 2005