Bronson - Tom Hardy, Matt King, Kelly Adams, Nicolas Winding Refn
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
In 1974, a hot-headed 19-year-old named Michael Peterson (Tom Hardy) decided he wanted to make a name for himself and so, with a home-made sawn-off shotgun and a head full of dreams he attempted to rob a post office. Swiftly apprehended and originally sentenced to 7 years in jail, Peterson has subsequently been behind bars for 34 years, 30 of which have been spent in solitary confinement. During that time, Michael Petersen, the boy, faded away and 'Charles Bronson', his superstar alter ego, took centre stage. Inside the mind of Bronson - a scathing indictment of celebrity culture.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film crime UK prison inmate solitary mental health insanity personality disorder fame culture
Persons of interest
- Tom Hardy .... Charles Bronson
- Matt King .... Paul
- Kelly Adams .... Irene
- Katy Barker .... Julie
- Edward Bennett-Coles .... Brian
- Amanda Burton .... Mum
- William Darke .... Charles Bronson - Age 13
- Mark Devenport .... Nurse
- Andrew Forbes .... Joe Peterson
- James Lance .... Phil
- Juliet Oldfield .... Alison
- Hugh Ross .... Uncle Jack
- Joe Tucker .... John White
- Brock Norman Brock .... Screenwriter
- Nicolas Winding Refn .... Screenwriter
- Nicolas Winding Refn .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Bronson official movie sites:
- Bronson film production notes
- Bronson QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- British Independent Film Awards 2009: Nominated: Best Achievement in Production, Best Actor (Tom Hardy)
- Sundance Film Festival 2009: Nominated: Grand Jury Prize World Cinema - Dramatic (Nicolas Winding Refn)
- Sydney Film Festival 2009: Won: Official Competition Award Best Film (Nicolas Winding Refn)
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Bronson is a hard-core crim movie that lets directorial artistry get in the way. There are moments for fantasy in gritty dramas (see Dancer in the dark) but this is not one of them. These moments undercut the harshness of the main character rather than reinforcing through contrast. Bronson is such an over-the-top character that the weirdo fantasy shit is not, in fact, contrasting.
Still, this performance from Tom Hardy (whom we last saw as Picard's mini-me clone in Star trek X) is what's called "bravura" (meaning "brilliant and showy technical skill") so the movie is worth seeing on that account. He's not given as rounded a character as Eric Bana was in Chopper but he gets as much out of him as can be got.
If you like hard men, bald men and/or naked men, then you'll like Bronson.
The crime, UK movie Bronson is directed by Nicolas Winding Refn and stars Tom Hardy, Matt King, Kelly Adams.
Images and production notes © 2008 Red Mist Distribution Limited.
Media intelligence (DVD)
- Languages: English
- Special features:
- Commentaries: Director Nicolas Winding Refn
- Interviews: Exclusive Australian interview with director Nicolas Winding Refn
- Trailers: Theatrical
Government security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Strong coarse language, violence and nudity)
92 minutes (1:32 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Disc: 10 February 2010