Breach - Chris Cooper, Laura Linney, Ryan Phillippe, Billy Ray
Threat advisory: Guarded - General risk of entertaining activities
Inspired by the true story of the greatest security breach in US history.
When Eric O'Neill (Ryan Phillippe), a young agent-in-training, is promoted out of his low-level surveillance job and into the headquarters of the FBI, his dream of becoming a full-fledged agent is on the verge of becoming a reality.
Even more impressive, O'Neill is selected to work for renowned operative Robert Hanssen (Chris Cooper) within "information assurance," a new division created to protect all classified FBI intelligence. His enthusiasm, however, quickly turns to anxiety as O'Neill is confronted with the true reason behind his unexpected promotion. Hanssen is the sole subject of a long-term, top-secret investigation; he is a suspected mole who has become extremely dangerous by the sheer global import of the information he is protecting.
The Bureau asks O'Neill to use Hanssen's growing trust of the apprentice to slowly draw the traitor out of deep cover. Now engaged in a lethal game of spy-versus-spy, O'Neill finds himself fighting to bring down Hanssen before the treacherous double agent can destroy him, his family and the nation they are both sworn to serve.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film spy true biography Robert Hanssen mole double agent
Persons of interest
- Chris Cooper .... Robert Hanssen
- Ryan Phillippe .... Eric O'Neill
- Laura Linney .... Kate Burroughs
- Caroline Dhavernas .... Juliana O'Neill
- Gary Cole .... Rich Garces
- Dennis Haysbert .... Dan Plesac
- Kathleen Quinlan .... Bonnie Hanssen
- Bruce Davison .... John O'Neill
- Jonathan Watton .... Geddes
- Tom Barnett .... Jim Olsen
- Catherine Burdon .... Agent Nece
- Scott Gibson .... Agent Sherin
- Courtenay J Stevens .... Agent Loper
- Clare Stone .... Lisa Hanssen
- Jonathan Keltz .... Greg Hanssen
- Richard Fitzpatrick .... Michael Rochford
- Melissa Thomson .... Jane
- Craig Eldridge .... Gene Connors
- Jonathon Whittaker .... Tim Bereznay
- Mary Jo Deschanel .... Vivian O'Neill
- Stan Coles .... Father McKee
- David Frisch .... Agent Pack
- Scott McCulloch .... Director Louis Freeh
- Mathew Lyons .... Richard
- Adam Mazer .... Storywriter
- William Rotko .... Storywriter
- Adam Mazer .... Screenwriter
- William Rotko .... Screenwriter
- Billy Ray .... Screenwriter
- Billy Ray .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- Breach official movie site
- Breach film production notes
- Breach QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
It's a terrible thing when life starts imitating film but, apparently, after reaching the age of 40 all spies go bad.
Because Breach is based on real life it's not as interesting as, say, The Bourne identity - in which Chris Cooper plays a spy over the age of 40 who goes bad - but it's ok as a film that's based on real life. And it makes a nice change to see the US intelligence community actually do their job right.
The spy, true movie Breach is directed by Billy Ray and stars Chris Cooper, Laura Linney, Ryan Phillippe.
Government security censorship classification
M (Infrequent moderate coarse language)
110 minutes (1:50 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 10 May 2007