Blood diamond - Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly, Djimon Hounsou, Edward Zwick
Threat advisory: Elevated - Significant risk of entertaining activities
It will cost you everything.
The African adventure is set in Sierra Leone circa 1999, a time when the nation was in the midst of a horrific civil war. DiCaprio plays the role of a smuggler who specializes in the sale of "blood diamonds" - also known as "conflict diamonds" - the precious stones used to finance rebellions, privateers and terrorists.
When the smuggler encounters an indigenous Mende farmer whose young son has disappeared into the RUF's army of child soldiers, the two men's fates become linked.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film Africa Sierra Leone blood diamond conflict diamond adventure thriller civil war war crime
Persons of interest
- Leonardo DiCaprio .... Danny Archer
- Djimon Hounsou .... Solomon Vandy
- Jennifer Connelly .... Maddy Bowen
- Kagiso Kuypers .... Dia Vandy
- Arnold Vosloo .... Colonel Coetzee
- Antony Coleman .... Cordell Brown
- Benu Mabhena .... Jassie Vandy
- Anointing Lukola .... N'Yanda Vandy
- David Harewood .... Captain Poison
- Basil Wallace .... Benjamin Kapanay
- Jimi Mistry .... Nabil
- Michael Sheen .... Simmons
- Marius Weyers .... Van De Kaap
- Stephen Collins .... Ambassador Walker
- Ntare Mwine .... M'Ed
- C Gaby Mitchell .... Storywriter
- Charles Leavitt .... Storywriter
- Marshall Herskovitz .... Screenwriter
- Charles Leavitt .... Screenwriter
- Edward Zwick .... Screenwriter
- Edward Zwick .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- The blood diamond official movie site
- Blood diamond film production notes
- Blood diamond QuickTime movie trailers
- Awards and film festivals:
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS - Oscars) 2007: Nominated: Performance by an actor in a leading role (Leonardo DiCaprio), Performance by an actor in a supporting role (Djimon Hounsou), Film editing, Sound editing, Sound mixing
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (Golden Globes) 2006: Nominated: Best Actor In A Motion Picture - Drama (Leonardo DiCaprio)
- National Board of Review, USA 2006: Won: Top Ten Film, Best Supporting Actor (Djimon Hounsou)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards 2006: Nominated: Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (Leonardo DiCaprio), Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Djimon Hounsou)
- See also Hotel Rwanda, Lord of war, Tears of the sun, The constant gardener
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
Awww... our baby is all grown up. Or, at least, Leo has finally hit puberty.
Anyway, Blood diamond is an apt title because it's full of diamonds, blood and diamonds covered in blood. There is blood spilled to get diamonds; there are diamonds spilled to get blood. Sierra Leone is one fucked-up country. Or, as Danny Archer says, TIA. ["This is Africa" - Director of Intelligence.]
"Denny Awcha" - that's some sweet white southern African accent Leonardo impresario's putting on. If it was any sharper he'd have cut his tongue off. Leo also runs around a lot, shooting, hitting and stabbing things like a mad South African ex-Army white boy. Very impressive. Djimon Hounsou is both sexy and innocent, a striking combination in anyone's books.
The action is pretty full-on with lots of urban and jungle guerrilla warfare, child soldiers, massacres of the innocents and gratuitous violence. Just what you want from a movie like this.
There's also a girly to sex things up, for those who like sex with your civil wars.
Security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Strong themes and violence)
143 minutes (2:23 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 4 January 2007