300 - Gerard Butler, David Wenham, Lena Headey, Zack Snyder
Threat advisory: High - High risk of entertaining activities
Prepare for glory!
In 480 BC, the Persian king Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) sends his massive army to conquer Greece. The Greek city of Sparta houses its finest warriors, and 300 of these soldiers are chosen to meet the Persians at Thermopylae, engaging the soldiers in a narrow canyon where they cannot take full advantage of their numbers. The battle is a suicide mission, meant to buy time for the rest of the Greek forces to prepare for the invasion. However, that doesn't stop the Spartans from throwing their hearts into the fray, determined to take as many Persians as possible with them.
Theatrical propaganda posters
Target demographic movie keyword propaganda
- Film historical war Sparta Persia Thermopylae soldier sword sandal Ancient Greece
Persons of interest
- Gerard Butler .... King Leonidas
- Lena Headey .... Queen Gorgo
- David Wenham .... Dilios
- Michael Fassbender .... Stelios
- Tom Wisdom .... Astinos
- Andrew Pleavin .... Daxos
- Andrew Tiernan .... Ephialtes
- Rodrigo Santoro .... Xerxes
- Dominic West .... Theron
- Tyrone Benskin .... Persian Emissary
- Clint Carleton .... Spartan
- Tyler Max Neitzel .... Young Leonidas
- Frank Miller .... Author
- Lynn Varley .... Author
- Kurt Johnstad .... Screenwriter
- Michael Gordon .... Screenwriter
- Zack Snyder .... Screenwriter
- Zack Snyder .... Director
Cinematic intelligence sources
- 300 official movie sites:
- 300 film production notes
- 300 movie trailers:
- Awards and film festivals:
- Berlin International Film Festival 2006: In competition
- MTV Movie Awards 2007: Won: Best Fight (Gerard Butler vs The Uber Immortal); Nominated: Best Movie, Best Performance (Gerard Butler), Breakthrough Performance (Lena Headey), Best Villain (Rodrigo Santoro)
- See also Alexander, Band of brothers
- Studios and distributors:
Special Agent Matti
If you like boofy blokes bashing each other to death with swords then you'll love 300: there's more blood than an explosion at the tampon factory.
If you like muscle queens running around in leather undies then you'll love 300: there are more six-packs than a bottling convention at a brewery.
Even moreso than other recent Sword & Sandal Epics™, this film is a guy movie. There's one chick (the Queen of Sparta) and some female extras (in a girl-on-girl scene) but other than that, it's all action men off to war. That's when the hitting and stabbing and running and bleeding come in. Oh, and the male bonding. There wasn't much sport over which to bond back in old-time Sparta (the Olympics only came around every four years) so they had to make do with going to war instead.
Did I mention the shouting and bleeding and beheading and delimbing? By the end of the movie you'll be shouting "FOR SPARTA" and heading down to the local kebab shop to delimb a few Turks. It's all good.
The historical war movie 300 is directed by Zack Snyder and stars Gerard Butler, David Wenham, Lena Headey.
Government security censorship classification
MA 15+ (Strong computer-generated battle violence, death and war themes)
116 minutes (1:56 hours)
Not for public release in Australia before date
Film: 5 April 2007